Draft Ministerial Direction in accordance with Section 31(7) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended) on the Making of the Limerick Development Plan 2022 - 2028
NOTICE OF DRAFT DIRECTION IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 31(7) OF THE PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT ACT 2000 (AS AMENDED)
BY THE MINISTER FOR HOUSING, LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND HERITAGE TO LIMERICK CITY AND COUNTY COUNCIL AS REGARDS THE MAKING OF THE LIMERICK DEVELOPMENT PLAN 2022-2028
Notice is hereby given that on 28th July 2022, Limerick City and County Council received notification from the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage of his intention to issue a Direction pursuant to Section 31 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended). The Draft Ministerial Direction related to the adoption of the Limerick Development Plan 2022-2028.
The reasons given for the Draft Direction are as follows:
- The Development Plan includes lands zoned for data centre development located in a non-sequential and peripheral location outside the boundary of the plan for Limerick City, inconsistent with National Planning Framework National Strategic Outcome 1, National Policy Objective 53, National Policy Objective 62 in relation to securing compact and sustainable patterns of development.
- The Development Plan includes significant lands zoned in a manner inconsistent with National Planning Framework National Policy Objective 57, which seeks to avoid inappropriate development in areas at risk of flooding, having regard to Ministerial Guidelines issued under Section 28 of the Act, The Planning System and Flood Risk Management, Guidelines for Planning Authorities (2009).
- The Development Plan has not been made in a manner consistent with and has failed to implement the recommendations of the Office of the Planning Regulator under Section 31 AM.
- The Development Plan fails to set out an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.
- The Development Plan is not in compliance with the requirements of the Act.
The Draft Direction may be inspected for a period of 2 weeks from 6th August 2022 to 19th August 2022 at the following locations:
- Online at www.limerick.ie
- Limerick City and County Council Corporate Headquarters, Merchant’s Quay, Limerick
- Limerick City and County Council, County Hall, Dooradoyle, Limerick
- Limerick City and County Council Municipal District Offices in Newcastle West, Kilmallock and Rathkeale.
Making a Submission or Observation:
Written submissions or observations in respect of the Draft Direction may be made to the Planning Authority during the consultation period and are hereby invited from members of the public, children, or groups or associations representing the interests of children and other interested parties. These submissions or observations shall be included in the Chief Executive’s Report and shall be taken into consideration by the Office of the Planning Regulator before it makes a recommendation to the Minister on the matter. All submissions or observations must be received no later than 19th August at 5pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Submissions/ Observations can be made via the following options:
- Online at https://mypoint.limerick.ie
- Via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- In writing to Forward Planning, Economic Development and Enterprise Directorate, Limerick City and County Council, Corporate Headquarters, Merchant’s Quay, Limerick.
In respect of making a submission or observation please note the following:
- Submissions/observations should include your name and address, a map (if required for identification purposes) and, where relevant, details of any organisation, community group or company etc., which you represent
- Please note that by giving your contact details you are agreeing to the Council GDPR policy
- In accordance with Section 19 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended), all valid submissions received shall be published on the Council website within 10 working days of their receipt and available to view at www.limerick.ie
- Please make your submission by one medium only, i.e. hard copy or website
Copies of the Draft Direction will be available to purchase on request. If you require more details or have any queries, please contact Forward Planning on (061) 556508 or email email@example.com